Personnel Info

As a Federally activated team member your professional licensure and certifications are recognized in all States and U.S. Territories. 

Federal Tort Claims Act
Provides a limited waiver of the United States’ sovereign immunity in cases of injury or loss of property or personal injury caused by the negligent or wrongful act or omission of any employee while acting within the scope of their office or employment. Under the FTCA, the government can only be sued under circumstances where the United States, if a private person, would be liable to the claimant in accordance with the law of the place where the act or omission occurred. 28 U.S.C. S 1346(b).

Federal Employees’ Compensation Act
Worker’s compensation insurance covers a team for liability if a member is injured or becomes ill (including emotional distress) while participating in an approved team activity. If you become injured or ill while participating in a team approved activity you must notify the Safety Officer and MA-1 Command to complete required paperwork (Forms CA1 and CA20) and medical evaluations. Worker’s compensation covers medical treatment, lost wages, and impaired future earning capacity.

Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA):
This act ensures that NDMS team members will be able to return to their jobs once activation or training is concluded. The Act also ensures that, for authorized activations and training, team members will be released for deployment by their employers and be allowed to return to their jobs upon completion without loss of benefits, including medical care. For more information go to

Motor Vehicle Accident Policy
In the case of an accident in a rental vehicle, NDMS employees are required to submit various forms of evidence and information as stated in the Federal Tort Claims Act. First, you must immediately notify NH-1 Command. No matter how small the accident and who is involved, the police department in the state in which the accident occurred must be notified and an official police report (Form SF 91) must be filed. You must obtain the other driver’s information (car insurance, driver’s license etc.) and the accident report number before leaving the scene of the accident. As a NDMS employee you should only provide your driver’s license information and information pertaining to the rental vehicle. Do not provide the other driver with personal insurance information! A follow-up call to the police agency must be placed to obtain a copy of the report.